sparrows and siskin

John Luther

At my home in Oakland hills on the south side of Shepherd Canyon I still have 2 White-throated Sparrows and about 10 Golden-crowned Sparrows.  About half of the wintering Golden-crowns and all of the Fox Sparrows are gone.  There is still a flock of at least 30 Pine Siskin visiting feeders and water.  None look ill, but for those who worry about their safety and health I should note that I have seen both Scrub Jays and Steller's Jays grab them off the feeders and carry them away - I assume for a meal.  And of course the Sharp-shinned and Cooper's hawks also find them tasty.  Some siskins may stay the summer and nest as they have done in the past.  There is also a flock of over 30 Band-tailed Pigeons in my walnut tree and Violet-green Swallows have returned for nesting.

John Luther
Oakland