Re: 13th try is a charm. Pileated Woodpecker in Redwood Regional Park

MikeGifford

Bruce and others,

Here is a link to a brief IG video of the Pileated Woodpecker captured today at Redwood Regional Park.

On Apr 23, 2021, at 6:24 PM, Bruce Mast via groups.io <cathrasher4@...> wrote:

Hello East Bay and Countybirders,
If you get rare bird alerts from eBird, you've probably seen recent reports of Pileated Woodpecker in the Alameda County portion of Redwood Regional Park. I went back this morning, for the 13th time in the last 15 months, to look for this Lord God Bird.

Following up on recent reports of a PIWO excavating a cavity near Trails End, I focused my attention on that area. I first heard a long repeated call, similar to a Flicker, from up canyon (Contra Costa County). I started walking in that direction and a large, crow-sized, black woodpecker with white wing patches flew over my head, still calling. It landed on a tree over my head and then quickly hopped over to a snag, where it went to work on a cavity that was already partially excavated. The cavity was in a snag that stood in the creek bottom just upstream from the Trails End bathrooms. It was noteworthy for being covered with those yellow semi-circular mushroom / fungus growths, unlike the live trees around it. The cavity was about 30 ft high and facing the trail. The bird worked quietly while other pedestrians wandered past. I tried to take pictures but discovered that my camera lacked a memory card. Doh! I've included one photo in my eBird list that I took with my cellphone through my binoculars.

On to my next county nemesis bird: Calliope Hummingbird.

Bruce Mast
Oakland