Black-throated Gray Warbler, Pacific-slope Flycatcher - Black Diamond Mines R. P. - 4/13

Paul Schorr

Today Nancy and I made a mid-day outing to BDMRP and walked our favorite loop. Near the junction of the Pittsburgh Mine Trail and the Chaparral Loop Trail, we spotted a FOS Black-throated Gray Warbler. As we were leaving the park, we stopped at the parking spot near the fire gate and trailhead for the Loop Traill. We checked out the elderberry bushes and tree tobacco shrubs on the west side of the road. There we saw our FOS Pacific-slope Flycatcher. In addition, there was a pair of Bullock’s Orioles and a flyover Western Kingbird. We also had several Anna’s Hummingbirds feeding at the tree tobacco shrubs. This is also a good spot to look for Rock Wrens among the very large boulders in the gully on the east side of the road.

Our White-crowned Sparrow flock is down to a handful of birds and they could very well be gone in the morning. We miss them already.

Happy Birding,

Paul Schorr
Antioch