Alameda birds Monday April 12

rosita94598

Rosita and I traveled to Alameda after some business in Oakland this morning.  Elsie Roemer was thick with birds all the way to the Doolittle Drive bridge to Bay Farm Island.  We did see the continuing Forster's, Caspian and Elegant Terns.  The mudflats were thick with peeps, including breeding plumaged Dunlins, Least and Western Sandpipers, some Dowitchers, M. Godwits and Semipalmated Plovers.

After a brief stop at Balena Bay overlooking the marina breakwater and eating our sandwiches, we continued into the Naval Air Station.  We drove past the old runway control tower to the entrance to the Seaplane Lagoon, where I counted 325 Western/Clark's Grebes without leaving the car.  There may have been more.  What a show.

Hugh B. Harvey