Unidentified duck at San Lorenzo Creek/Reservoir

Lawrence Danos

Hi,
Two of us were birding Saturday along San Lorenzo Creek near where it enters SF Bay (lower San Lorenzo Creek). Today (Sunday) we were at Don Castro Reservoir (upper San Lorenzo Creek} In both places we noticed several pairs of mallards but there was one pair, a male mallard and a black duck with white breast were paired together. In both cases they were hanging out together with the other mallard pairs and swimming together as is usual in the Spring. I couldn't get close enough to get a picture but am wondering if anyone else saw these two and what is the black & white duck? It's about the same size as a mallard and completely black except for the white breast.