Re: Pt. Richmond - Hermit Thrush and Golden-crowned Kinglet

Marianna Ford

I live close to downtown Walnut Creek and have seen several Hermit Thrush in my yard and neighborhood for the first time. Another neighbor posted pictures of baby hummers she has in her yard now. I was surprised they were nesting so early.

Marianna

On Mar 21, 2021, at 2:45 PM, Lawrence DiCostanzo <Lawrence.DiCostanzo@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, Melani. I live in Albany, and this week I saw a hermit thrush in my backyard. This is the first sighting I’ve had of a thrush in a really really long time. I wonder if the fact that I took down the birdfeeder because of the salmonella epidemic, means that other kinds of birds besides finches, etc. don’t feel as “crowded” in the garden.

Lawrence

On Mar 21, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Melani King <melani@king2d3d.com> wrote:

Today while birding my neighborhood I photographed a Hermit Thrush. Nothing unusual until I got home and downloaded the photo. It just looked off to me to be an adult. A gape is still visible and the plumage on the back is fluffy and the tail feathers look like they're still growing in. Do Hermit Thrushes nest in Contra Costa? I thought no. And wouldn't it be too early for this to happen if they did? I'd appreciate any feedback. Photos in my eBird report here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S83836191

Also of interest was a Golden-crowned Kinglet working a Monterey Pine. I was alerted to it by its very high-pitched vocalization. This was a first for me in my neighborhood!

-Melani King
Pt. Richmond