Before the rain late today

rosita94598

I made a late bike ride to Heather Farm and went pretty straight to the pond near the private Seven Hills School.  There were about ten Rough-winged Swallows flying over that pond--pretty hard to tell with all the swallow dips and turns they make.  I had one over the large, mostly natural pond this morning, too.

The numbers of Ring-necked Ducks took a big drop, but it has happened a few times during the winter.  We'll see what happens after the storm passes.  It could be that it is late enough in the year that they are actually leaving for good.

Five Cackling Geese continued this morning; they were on the north ball fields until a dog owner decided to take his large dog out there to chase either a ball or a Frisbee.  Some of the owners have decided over the last year that the ball fields are a good alternative to the dog park.  Needless to say, they pay no attention to the signs and city ordinance prohibiting dogs on the athletic fields, where children, teens and adults participate in group sports.

Hugh B. Harvey