Dowitcher, peep, & teal highlights at Arrowhead Marsh

gabikirk@...

A few uncommon to me sightings at Arrowhead Marsh (MLK Regional Shoreline, Oakland) yesterday, at low tide in the afternoon:
-easily 125-150 dowitchers, assuming short-billed because of the setting. A very large gathering on multiple parts of the mud flats visible from the large wooden platform and path along the channel, with numerous willets & black bellied plovers mixed in and two lesser yellowlegs.
-a spotted sandpiper (lifer for me), very distinct with its cute "butt bob," by itself on the exposed mud of the channel
-five blue winged teals! Another lifer for me, and definitely not as common it seems in the East Bay. They were farther down the channel away from the open water.

Full Ebird list at https://ebird.org/checklist/S82974629

Take care,
Gabi Kirk
Oakland