Rufous Hummingbird

Johan Langewis

This morning a male Rufous Hummingbird visited my feeder. The back was completely orange, not a fleck of green to be seen. No Allen’s in my yard yet. Also, a Chestnut-backed Chickadee started nest building in my nest-cam box today. Sure signs of Spring. I’m waiting to see if the Brown Creepers will return to the same nest site they used the last three years. Also waiting to see nesting activity of Nuttall’s Woodpecker, Bewick’s Wren, and a few others. I minimize my observation of nests so I don’t alert the local predators, especially Corvids. I hope everyone keeps this in mind this Spring.

Johan Langewis
Oakland, near Shepherd Canyon & Skyline Blvd