Hairy Woodpecker - Contra Loma Regional Park, Antioch - 3/1

Paul Schorr

Today Nancy and I located the Hairy Woodpecker that Jerry Britten first reported on 2/19. We first located the bird at 10:45 and watched and photographed it for about one hour. The bird was very active in the trees along the west shore of the reservoir. We first found it just north of the small inlet about half the distance to the dam. It flew across the inlet and we located it again in the trees south of the inlet. Photos are included in my eBird posting.

In addition, we saw a single Tri-colored Blackbird in a flock of Red-winged Blackbirds. Total species for the day was 43, a nice way to start the month of March. With the addition of the Hairy Woodpecker, our total species at Contra Loma R. P. is 151.

Happy birding.

Paul Schorr
Antioch