Advice re salmonella?

Lawrence DiCostanzo

Hi! California Wildlife authorities really want people to take down bird feeders because of the salmonella outbreak among pine siskins. I think they fear it would spread to the general finch population and onward.

I haven’t had any sick or dead birds in the yard (except for the rare finch with eye disease). And I keep my feeders and bath clean and I clean out the ground beneath them. I’m also doing the Cornell Feederwatch weekly count, and would stop doing that if there isn’t a feeder.

For me, the birds come first. And if I have to take down the feeder, I will.

Do you have any ideas/advice about this?

Lawrence (Albany)