Re: Where are the Lake Merritt Scaup?

Alexander Henry

The explanation provided by Steve Tucker is seemingly supported by eBird data; with the recent Herring Run in late January in Marin County on the northwest side of the Bay, I think some of the large concentrations of scaup which were in the East Bay earlier in the winter moved to the other side of the Bay.

Alex Henry
Berkeley

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 11:38 AM Steven Tucker via groups.io <talkingtrees80=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
At this point in winter I suspect a large number of scaup that winter in the region are following herring runs around the bay - that could account, at least in part, for declines at sites where they were plentiful a month or two ago.

Steve Tucker
San Jose

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 11:07:39 AM PST, <gabikirk@...> wrote:

What a great question, as I have noticed the same. The huge scaup flock was on the lake earlier this winter but seems to have disappeared not long after New Years. Normally you can find decent number of scaups farther into the winter, in fact I distinctly remember seeing some as late as May last year. Weirdly though I also have not seen scaup in large numbers at some of my regular shoreline sites in recent weeks either (Arrowhead Marsh and Middle Harbor). There were hundreds at Arrowhead earlier this winter and no more. Where did they go??

Take care,

Gabi Kirk
Oakland