From: gabikirk@...
To: EBB-Sightings@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Feb 17, 2021 11:07 am
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Where are the Lake Merritt Scaup?

What a great question, as I have noticed the same. The huge scaup flock was on the lake earlier this winter but seems to have disappeared not long after New Years. Normally you can find decent number of scaups farther into the winter, in fact I distinctly remember seeing some as late as May last year. Weirdly though I also have not seen scaup in large numbers at some of my regular shoreline sites in recent weeks either (Arrowhead Marsh and Middle Harbor). There were hundreds at Arrowhead earlier this winter and no more. Where did they go??

Take care,

Gabi Kirk
Oakland