Moderator Re: [EBB-Sightings] Peregrines in Berkeley

Aaron Maizlish

Dear East Bay Birds community,

An important reminder from the EBB-Sighting moderator.

Do not report nesting locations of sensitive species.  This includes many (most) species of falcons, owls and other raptors.

Peregrines are making a remarkable comeback in Northern California from the days when they were on the brink of global extinction in the 1970s.  They are still a sensitive species.  Although they may choose to nest in urban areas they are still sensitive to disturbance and need plenty of space to successfully fledge chicks.  Like owls, nesting falcons are always aware of your presence, whether they are reacting or not.  So please keep a wide distance from nesting areas (even high-traffic ones like this.)

Also, the site that was referenced this morning is on private property.  On a personal note, once upon a time I ran a lumber business at this exact location, called EcoTimber International.  The falcons are regularly monitored by professionals.  Please do not crowd into the area.

As a reminder, the rules for this group can be found at https://groups.io/g/EBB-Sightings - the ethics section states:
·       Please do not post the exact locations of nests.
·       Please do not post the exact locations of day-roosting owls, this upsets many members of the community.
·       Please do not post the locations of Sensitive Species, where such visitation by birders could have an adverse impact.
·       When in doubt, first consider the welfare of the bird.

First warning.

Thank you,

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco, CA

On Feb 15, 2021, at 8:18 AM, Travis Hails via groups.io <travishails@...> wrote:

On Saturday, 2/13/21, at 5:45PM with overcast skies and poor light, I saw a peregrine perched on the water tower in the OSH parking lot.  It was on one of the cell antenna attached to the walkway around the water tank itself.  East side, therefore visible from the OSH parking lot.

As I watched, a second falcon flew from behind the water tank to the south, dropping very low, below the roofline of new apartments west of OSH.

I know a falcon was reported here last year (April), so this might be a site worth watching for nesting activity.

Travis Hails