Lake Merritt Sunday afternoon

rosita94598

I knew there would be Sunday crowds at the lake, but it was easy enough to stay away from everyone.  What I was hoping for was to find at least one Barrow's Goldeneye--they have been scarce there lately.  It did not work for me, and I even walked past the homeless camps/used bicycle shops (not) to check the channel along Laney College.

I did have a nice selection of birds, being surprised to see seven White Pelicans.  It used to be just the one which was unable to fly due to an injury.  I had almost as many Red-breasted Mergansers (15) as Common Goldeneyes (20-25).

I probably overlooked a Western Grebe, but did have Clark's, Eared, Horned and Pied-billed.  It was four gull species, too, Western, Ring-billed, California and Herring.

Guess I'll have to make the pilgrimage to Putah Creek to find a Barrow's.

Hugh B. Harvey