Re: Oil Spill in Richmond - oiled wildlife contact

Lorri Gong

Another indication that the spill may have been going on several days before it was discovered.  See iNaturalist post of a California gull I saw in Point Reyes Station that appeared to be oiled.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 7:59 PM Bryan Flaig <flaig.tutor@...> wrote:
Hi Jack,
I think I saw that same Northern Pintail with the rusty breast and throat on Feb. 2nd at the Albany mudflats, before the oil spill. It was hanging out with Green-winged Teal, so I speculated that it might be some sort of hybrid. I also noticed some coloring on the exposed secondary feathers, blue-black-white, if I remember correctly.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S80345537

Ebird has a page for pintail X green-winged teal hybrids, and some of the photos show similar rusty breast.

https://ebird.org/species/x00725?siteLanguage=hr

Bryan Flaig
Corte Madera

--

Quote: It is advisable to look from the tidepool to the stars and then back to the tidepool again. ~ John Steinbeck, Sea of Cortez, 1941