Re: Eurasian (Common) Teal, Richmond Bay Trail

Sharon Jue

"Getting away with" calling it Eurasian might depend on the reviewer - I was corrected on a very, very similar looking bird at the same location in 2017 (https://ebird.org/checklist/S35673607). This has been a very fun winter for odd ducks.

Any report on the oil spill cleanup progress? I read somewhere that it had been contained and was no longer spreading. I hope that is true!

-Sharon Jue
Berkeley

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 5:59 PM Alexander Henry <awhenry@...> wrote:
There was a Common Teal at Albany Mudflats earlier in the winter, which I haven’t seen in a while. I wonder if that could be the same bird?

Be careful though, because there is also a Eurasian-leaning intergrade in the same area! Photographed recently by Sharon J. (Although, that bird is much closer to Eurasian than American, so you could probably get away with calling it Eurasian anyway).

The Eurasian-leaning intergrade:

On Wednesday, February 10, 2021, Sheila Dickie via groups.io <falconmae=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
A Eurasian (Common) Teal was seen in the Stege Marsh along the Richmond Bay trail at 1:30 p m. Today, February 10.  The teal was associating with a few Green-winged Teal and a Northern Pintail and seen by me and Inger Coble. The birds flew and we're not refound. They were on the east side of the trail at low tide

The teal had a very distinctive horizontal white stripe and no vertical bar.

Stege Marsh is between the Meeker Slough bridge and the 51st Street path.
Directly behind the marsh are the Richmond Field Station and Zeneca Superfund site.

Also seen two Ridgways Rails. One at the 51st Street Bridge and one slightly to the north on the east side of the trail.

Sheila Dickie
Richmond

--
Alex Henry