No Dipper

Max Laubstein

Hi all,
This morning I went to Sunol regional wilderness to look for the Dipper. I haven't seen any reports since the "atmospheric river" event, and today I continued that trend, not being able to locate the bird after walking the length of the river several times. The water levels were remarkably high, likely flooding over many suitable rock perches. The water additionally smelled quite sulfuric and had an orange tinge–possibly from increased sediment dissolution due to the higher flow rates–factors that may also have played a role in the dipper's disappearance. Nevertheless, if the bird is overwintering, it's likely it's just relocated somewhere else in the stream where foraging conditions are better, and, as the river's level lowers, possibly it will return to the spot it's frequented recently.