Re: Short-eared Owl Pt Isabel?

Jim Roethe

I walked the Bay trail today from the dog park to Meeker Slough in Richmond.  I saw what I thought was a short-eared owl seemingly hunting over the wetland to the North.  It landed in a grassy area and then rose again and flew West toward Meeker Slough.  It landed on a metal box far across from the trail and stayed there for 30-40 minutes until I had to leave.  It may have been eating something it caught.  Looked like a short-eared owl to me.    About 10:30 - 11:00 this morning.

Jim Roethe

In a message dated 1/4/2021 3:27:06 PM Pacific Standard Time, z.querula@... writes:

Agree with Derek— in an area with few tall roost sites and hundreds of off leash dogs and meddling humans, it seems likely the owl is just getting flushed. Perhaps by the observer..

Ethan

On Jan 4, 2021, at 2:40 PM, Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis@...> wrote:

To Travis Hall etc

It is very interesting that a Barn Owl, perhaps the one I photographed Dec 29th at 3:30 PM, has been observed along the Berkeley/Albany shoreline several times during the day.  I did go back and check the time on the photo, which was 3:30 PM with sunset scheduled for roughly 5 PM. It was relatively cloudy but enough light for a good photo.It was a surprise for me and even though the shot was back lit, because  it was a raw photo, I was able to pull a reasonable image out..

Maybe this owl suffers from daytime insomnia.

Claude Lyneis

On Jan 4, 2021, at 12:46 PM, Derek <dlheins@...> wrote:

A Barn Owl seen flying during the day, but not hunting, would not be considered
diurnal. I would assume that it was flushed by something and was simply flying to a new perch.

Derek Heins