Re: Heather Farm sightings

tracy_farrington

A dubious report, given my experience, and that of other long time observers who have consistently submitted observations spanning many years from this location.
Tracy Farrington
Walnut Creek

On Jan 4, 2021, at 5:51 PM, rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598@...> wrote:

Today I found an eBird report from  Sunday afternoon visit to Heather Farm--10 Common Goldeneyes and 20 Greater White-fronted Geese.  Darn, the one afternoon I did not visit the park . . . .

Instead, Rosita and I drove to Martinez and walked out the TransMontaine Pipeline trail.  We had three sightings of a single Short-eared Owl, but do not know if it was the same owl each time.

I went to the park this morning to follow up on the eBird report.  Did not see any of those two waterfowl species, and was eventually caught in the rain.  So was Tracy Farrington.

Another visit this afternoon was in much better weather.  Still no Goldeneyes or White-fronted Geese, but a female Wood Duck continues in the pond near the private Seven Hills School.  We saw her on New Year's Day.  She seems to be hanging out with Ring-necked Ducks.  There were also some DC Cormorants in that pond this afternoon and a Pied-billed Grebe.  Ring-necked Ducks, Buffleheads and Coots are still all over the large, mostly natural pond.  They were all quite nervous the other day when the Otter Navy was holding maneuvers.

Hugh B. Harvey