Re: Today at Hilltop Lake

Rosemary Johnson

You can usually reach it from the YWCA parking lot off Richmond Parkway but that lot is closed due to closure of the gym.  The alternate location is the corner of Lakeside Drive and Research Drive in Richmond.

On 01/03/2021 10:57 AM Alan Howe <adhowe@...> wrote:

Hi.

Exactly where is this gem? Haven't heard of it before.

Thanks.

Alan Howe
North Oakland

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 6:10 PM Rosemary Johnson < compasros@...> wrote:
Highlights:
Many flickers - might see one here but today saw many.
First red-shouldered hawk here - usually see red tails perched high on transmission towers, red-shouldered flew over lake and perched on tree just above the lake
Purple gallinule juvenile - coloring was in between young juvenile and full adult. (Common and purple are seen here each winter)
3 Canvasback males
And a duck that I didn't include on my list because I just couldn't figure out what it was.  It was brown and black with white markings.  Not a ruddy or bufflehead - larger and markings didn't fit. Not ring-necked duck either - these usually make an appearance here but none yet. Too bad a didn't have a camera with me.  Need to get one for birding on my own so I can capture these anomalies.

If you are unfamiliar with this location, I have to tell you that it is a small gem.  Fresh water lake which attracts lots of waterfowl and shrubs and trees around for passerines.  I'm always amazed at the variety here in such a small area.

Rosemary Johnson