Re: Today at Hilltop Lake

janet ellis

On Sunday, January 3, 2021, 10:58 AM, Alan Howe <adhowe@...> wrote:

Hi.

Exactly where is this gem? Haven't heard of it before.

Thanks.

Alan Howe
North Oakland

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 6:10 PM Rosemary Johnson <compasros@...> wrote:
Highlights:
Many flickers - might see one here but today saw many.
First red-shouldered hawk here - usually see red tails perched high on transmission towers, red-shouldered flew over lake and perched on tree just above the lake
Purple gallinule juvenile - coloring was in between young juvenile and full adult. (Common and purple are seen here each winter)
3 Canvasback males
And a duck that I didn't include on my list because I just couldn't figure out what it was.  It was brown and black with white markings.  Not a ruddy or bufflehead - larger and markings didn't fit. Not ring-necked duck either - these usually make an appearance here but none yet. Too bad a didn't have a camera with me.  Need to get one for birding on my own so I can capture these anomalies.

If you are unfamiliar with this location, I have to tell you that it is a small gem.  Fresh water lake which attracts lots of waterfowl and shrubs and trees around for passerines.  I'm always amazed at the variety here in such a small area.

Rosemary Johnson