Creekside Park (Brentwood) and East County

Ethan Monk

As posted earlier, I located a Plumbeous Vireo at Creekside Park in Brentwood off Cheshire Drive. The bird was in view from ~135 to 150 before going missing. Srikant Char and I then relocated it at 210 and we followed it for 5 minutes before it went missing again. Despite people being there until dusk, I do not believe it was seen again. It worked the creek bed's oaks and the sycamores along the concrete path and besides the playground, from the bridge at the N end of the lawn to just a hundred or so feet south of the play structure. It called and sang almost constantly which makes its long absence this evening peculiar. Other notable birds at the park were 2 Tanager, 2 Black-throated Gray Warblers (I only saw 1; Char saw 2), 1 Townsend's Warbler, and a couple of siskin and Purple Finch. All around the play area. These are all species that we miss many or most years of the Christmas Bird Count. In other news, at Holland Tract this evening, the ratio of Cackling to White-front was 1:3 (8K dark geese total). Still a decently high ratio for Contra Costa.

Good birding,
Ethan