Double-crested Cormorants - Antioch City Reservoir - 11/18

Paul Schorr

Today Nancy and I took advantage of a break in the weather and birded at Antioch City Reservoir from 12:35 - 2:45.

We were amazed to count 250+ Double-crested Cormorants on the reservoir, clearly a very high number.

A complete list of the birds we saw or heard follows;

Canada Goose 29
Bufflehead 20
Common Goldeneye 13
Ruddy Duck 1
Pied-billed Grebe 5
Eared Grebe 1
American White Pelican 1
Snowy Egret 14
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Virginia Rail (heard) 1
Sora 1
American Coot 12
Ring-billed Gull 25
Anna’s Hummingbird 2
Nuttall’s Woodpecker 1
Black Phoebe 3
CA Scrub-Jay 3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 5
Northern Mockingbird 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 15
Song Sparrow 3
White-crowned Sparrow 1

Birding at Antioch City Reservoir can be challenging because there are only a couple of narrow pullouts along the entrance road into adjacent Lone Tree Golf Course. All viewing along the road is done through a chain-link fence.

Happy birding, be well and stay safe.

Paul Schorr
Antioch