For the record: SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER today at Arrowhead Marsh, in Oakland

David Quady and Nancy Boas

Hi, birders:

About 11:00 am this Sunday morning, Felix Ratcliff found an adult Scissor-tailed Flycatcher at Oakland’s Arrowhead Marsh, in dry vegetation on the east side of the entrance road, near the second parking lot. Felix called Horacio and Mona Mena, who drove to Arrowhead and saw and photographed the bird (I’ve attached one of their photos). Mona called me, and I arrived shortly before noon, I believe. While I was en route, the bird flew north and was lost to view behind the screen of trees on the north side of the parking lot.

The three of us began to search for the bird, soon joined by Bob Lewis, whom I had called, but we were unable to relocate the bird. I was the last to give up, at 3:00 pm.

At 12:47 pm I tried to notify East Bay Birds about this sighting. Unfortunately I hadn’t updated EBB’s address in my cell phono, so my message went to the old Yahoo Groups inbox. I apologize for my error. Those who didn’t receive the message can perhaps take comfort in having devoted no time or fuel to pursuing the bird.

I know of no previous records of a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher in Alameda County. If readers know of any, perhaps they could share the information on this list.

Dave Quady
Berkeley, California
davequady@att.net