Narrative Challenge 2

Mike Hall

(2) Sunday before last, October 11, 8 a.m., Mitchell Canyon Road (GPS 37.91724, -121.94580), Mt. Diablo State Park, CA: loud, repeated 2-note “wolf whistle” from overhead. It had the right pitch, character, and loudness to be an Olive-sided Flycatcher, but it was consistently two notes only, not the familiar “Quick, three beers!” More important, the first note was higher in pitch than the second, unlike the first two of an OSFL. It went “What year!” with the first note slightly up-slurred and quickly cut off, the second beginning somewhat lower in pitch, slightly down-slurred, and longer-lasting. Did I mention loud? He must have repeated it twenty times and I never had the wit to haul out my phone and try for a recording. (Of course, I had my binocs on other birds the whole time.)