Empidonax help?

Sharon Jue

Hi all, hope you're surviving the heat and smoky air. Maybe you can do a little vicarious birding by helping with an Empidonax ID. My impression *in the field* (i.e., not sure it's totally bourne out by photos) was of a smaller, whiter-bellied, shorter-billed, shorter-winged and tailed bird than the Western Flycatchers that dominate this area. Eyering prominent but not strongly teardrop-shaped. True to empid form, it wasn't terribly cooperative for photos, but I managed to get several views:

This was from a small circuit I did yesterday of seldom-eBirded small neighborhood parks in the Berkeley hills. Other items of local interest were a FOS Red-breasted Sapsucker and at least three (though possibly more) Western Tanagers squabbling and gorging on holly-leafed cherries.

Thanks for any input!

Sharon Jue
Berkeley