From: EBB-Sightings@groups.io <EBB-Sightings@groups.io> On Behalf Of Megan Jankowski
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 10:59 AM
To: Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis@...>
Cc: EBB-Sightings@groups.io
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Nice looking Long-billed Curlew at Pt Isabel

Nice photo! I learned something of interest about our California curlews from my friend Andy Boyce who bands curlews in Montana. He says this: "an interesting fact is that there are Long-billed Curlews that winter along the coast of California and no one knows where the hell they come from. All of the known breeding populations (they're spread across the west) have had GPS-tags put on and none of them winter anywhere near central/northern Cal. Yet we know some birds winter there every year. Probably a mysterious breeding population somewhere in interior BC that nobody knows about. Mysterious. "

Megan Jankowski

Oakland

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 10:54 PM Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis@...> wrote:

Last time I was at Point Isabel I misidentified a Whimbrel as a Long-billed Curlew.  Today around noon both of them showed up along with some Killdeer, Western Sandpipers and a Marbled Godwit.

The Long-billed Curlew shot came out well.  https://flic.kr/p/2jLgwiB