Point San Pablo, yesterday

Ethan Monk

Yesterday birded Pt. San Pablo from 640am to about 11. There were a couple other birders out, including the Stephensons who met me at ~845. Almost no wind early morning, with a slight West breeze (2/3 mph?) picking up later in the morning. A thin fog first thing but it cleared up fast. 

When I first arrived, I walked the switchbacks leading up from the marina like I normally do, and detected only 4 migrants--2 Wilson's, 1 Yellow warbler, and 1 Pac slope. I made my way up to the top of signal hill. Here there were 5 Savannah Sparrows and a curious warbler that went unIDed in the scrub. After a minute of going through them, they flushed off the hill and flew South. A slight breeze had started to pick up at this point (SW), and with it came one Yellow Warbler heading S over the hill. Then another, heading W across the bay. And more birds kept coming, sometimes landing briefly. I left the hill an hour and a half (?) later when the birds making the flight calls were too high for me to see. Highlights of birds flying over-- 30 Purple Finch (very high count here), 14 Tanager, 2 OC and 15-20 Yellow Warblers, 7 Savannah Sparrow, 4 Bluebird (these hung around up top for 5-10 minutes), 5 Vaux's Sw., 2 Say's Phoebe, 2 Willow Flycatchers (didn't actually see if these left over the bay but they disappeared heading W), a couple blackbirds, and 2 collared doves (rare here). Almost all heading West over the bay. Walking the switchbacks after I left the hill, the oaks were newly alive. 2 kinglets, vocalizing Swainson's Thrush, several more warblers, singing Fox Sparrow, waxwings, etc. Presumably all birds that had cycled in during the time I was skywatching. 

Walking the railroad tracks with the Stephensons, Lucas flushed up a Spizella about 100 feet west of the marina. We saw it fly by, and it sat up for maybe 5-6 seconds in a stand of fennel ~30 yards away from us before taking off out of sight. They both think it was a Brewer's. I don't want to get into it too much--it certainly could have been a Brewer's--but several things I saw didn't convince me to that end.

Birded Richmond the rest of the day, decent migrant numbers, only highlight was an apparently continuing Lark Sparrow at Miller. 

Good birding,
Ethan

Join EBB-Sightings@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.