Re: (EBB - Sightings). Help with Sandpiper ID at Lake Cascade

Ethan Monk

Lake Cascade is a pond in Orinda off San Pablo Dam Rd/Camino Pablo.

It seems like good habitat for a Solitary Sandpiper.

Ethan

On Sep 10, 2020, at 12:30 PM, Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists@...> wrote:

Hi Jim,

Where is Lake Cascade?

Thanks,

Aaron Maizlish
Moderator
On Sep 10, 2020, at 12:08 PM, Jim Roethe via groups.io <JimRoethe@...> wrote:

Also some head bobbing while standing still.
Jim Roethe

On Sep 10, 2020, at 12:05 PM, Jim Roethe via groups.io <JimRoethe@...> wrote:

Saw an unusual sandpiper foraging at the East end of Lake Cascade this morning.  Medium sized and at first I thought it might a Pectoral Sandpiper.  Bright mottled back and dull yellowish legs.  Medium length bill.  Breast showed some Light grayish Spotting but no. Real distinct line between breast and belly.  White supercillium not terribly distinct.  After 15 minutes it Called and flew to the other side of the lake.  Call was not that of a Pectoral.  Rather a sharp call nearer that of a Sharp-tail per the Peterson App on my phone.  In flight the call was a repeated double sharp call.  Not quite as loud.  Showed a distinct white rump in flight. While foraging, it swirled around like a Whirly- dervish almost like a Phalarope.  Any help would be appreciated.
Jim Roethe