Re: Male Surf Scoter at Albany Bulb

Fred Werner

An adult male Surf Scoter was on land next to a female Greater Scaup at the Albany Bulb on July 24.  Photos and links to videos in the eBird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S71795274

Apologies for the late addition to this thread.  I was intrigued to see the Scaup and Scoter so close, but didn't think there was anything unusual about Scoters there even on land, even this time of year.

That week and earlier, there was much discussion on this list about Greater vs. Lesser Scaups.  So I was more focused on trying to distinguish the three scaups I saw: two seemed clearly Greater, one seemed clearly Lesser.  Photos / videos of those are also on that eBird list.

- Fred

Fred Werner
Berkeley

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 8:47 AM Edward Tanovitz via groups.io <edtanov=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I saw one male very close to shore near Trader vics in Emeryville in late July.