locked Re: Introduction / California thrasher

Steve Taylor

It was free on Apple. But it’s hard to beat Marlin Bird ID

On Jun 6, 2020, at 12:39 PM, Joyce Rybandt <jrybandt@earthlink.net> wrote:

Hello,

A heads up. I was considering installing the Bird Genie app and followed the link from Alvaro. I recommend you read the reviews on the app before buying and installing. The reviews look to be recent. It seems to have some frustrating problems. On Android several people mentioned that the app fills the photo gallery with photos of birds, which is not good if you don't have lots of storage space.

Joyce Rybandt

-----Original Message-----
From: EBB-Sightings@groups.io [mailto:EBB-Sightings@groups.io] On Behalf Of Alvaro Jaramillo
Sent: Friday, June 5, 2020 12:46 PM
To: 'Alia.S.' <ealiasalim@gmail.com>; EBB-Sightings@groups.io
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Introduction / California thrasher

Alia
Regarding apps, one you may want to try is BirdGenie http://www.birdgenie.com/
It was created by Tom Stephenson a friend of mine, but admit that I have yet to use it as my brain wired to bird song before cell phones were even a viable idea. But the technology behind it is very cool, you record a song and it identifies the birds for you. If you can find articles by Tom regarding how to think about and visualize bird song, I would recommend doing that. He has developed a pretty consistent language to describe bird song.
Now, old school, here is what worked for me. When you hear something that you don't recognize, chase it down. Focus on the sound, and follow it until you can visually identify the bird. The connection your brain makes with the sound, the image, and the time you are focused and searching is like no other tool. You will miss a bunch, and that is ok. But as you learn you will find that you have to chase down fewer and fewer until you realize that you know ALL of the birds in your home patch. That is an amazing accomplishment, and from there you expand to wider areas geographically and for some magical reason birds become easier and easier to learn as you know more of them.
California Thrasher - to me the name has always been more Skate Punk than metal, but I know what you are saying.

Have fun.
Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo
alvaro@alvarosadventures.com