Pileated Woodpecker continuing at Pinehurst Road

Donald Lewis

Sorry for a two-day late post but I had fallen off the EBB  member list so the post wasn’t accepted until Aaron put me back on. He says that sometimes one is delisted when an EBB email is marked spam, which a klutz like me may well have done by accident.

Don Lewis

Lafayette, CA

The Pileated Woodpecker reported spasmodically since April 10 near the intersection of Pinehurst and Canyon Roads, near the Valle Vista Staging Area, Moraga, was present at 11:00 Thursday morning.

Here is Judith Dunham’s eBird report: Our group first heard powerful staccato drumming, then shortly thereafter the diagnostic loud repetitive call, notably different from that of NOFL or another woodpecker. The bird was not far away but did not emerge to perch on the telephone pole where it has been seen in recent weeks.

The stake-out telephone pole is about 50 yards from the intersection toward Moraga.  It has wires and insulators but the bird has been seen on the broken-off part extending 3 feet above the crossbar.

Note that  Moraga Road is closed 9-5 weekdays due to bridge construction. Between those hours, the site can be reached on PInehurst Road via Canyon or from the Redwood Regional Park main entrance. Also, the Valle Vista Staging lot reopened Friday morning.

Don Lewis

Lafayette, CA