Baby turkeys at Morcom Rose Garden

Kate Hoffman

For several years, a wild turkey tom and several hens have been (mostly) resident in the Morcom Rose Garden, where a turkey whisperer/neighbor feeds them daily. Lately the hens have been missing, and the tom has been unusually aggressive toward garden visitors. I wondered if perhaps the hens were nesting nearby or whether the extra visitors to the garden this spring were just pushing him over the edge. This morning, I saw the hens and the tom grazing the hill and herding a bunch of fluffy tiny turkeys under the watchful gaze of a crow. When the crow came too close, a hen rushed him and forced him (temporarily) away. Do crows eat ambulatory baby turkeys?

Kate Hoffman
Oakland