Heather FArm on Monday May 11

rosita94598

It would seem that the White-breasted Nuthatches have fledged from the gnarly oak on the west side of the large, mostly natural pond. I heard them all around and saw them flying, but they must have the family out and about, now.

Just a little to the north is an active Bushtit nest, I saw them going to and from it. And even farther north I found an active Nuttall's Woodpecker nest this morning. I was able to show both of these to John Poole and Bernt Pettersson.

John found us a Great Blue Heron in the pond near the private Seven Hills School. It was in a tree at one of the pond corners. John and Bernt had a Green Heron, but it did not work for me.

Three Killdeer babies were with an adult along the outfield fence across from the parking lot near the wooden railing.

Yesterday I had a Western Wood-Pewee high in the gnarly oak, but never re-found it. The Ash-throated Flycatcher has called for close to two weeks, but not today.

The Kingfisher was around again today, probably one of the pair from the creek channel at the south end of Cherry Lane.

Hugh B. Harvey