Two BLACK-CHINNED HUMMINGBIRDS on Garin Rd in Hayward

Bob Toleno

After seeing a report on Facebook from James Watts of a male Black-chinned Hummingbird in the Pride of Madeira patch on Garin Road, i decided to go out there after work to look for it. I spent almost two hours out there and managed to find TWO Black-chinned Hummingbirds: the male that James found near the top of the hill as well as a female closer to the bottom. I managed to get crappy digibin shots of both birds. I also saw at least two male Calliope Hummingbirds, very likely at least one female Calliope, also, as well as good numbers of Rufous, Allen's, and Anna's.

Five different species definitely made this my best day ever for hummingbird watching in Alameda County.

Bob Toleno
Hayward