First of Season Fremont

John Cant 793-5216

While spending time at home at the mouth of Niles Canyon, two days ago I had an adult male Black-headed Grosbeak check out a hummingbird feeder, and today I heard a Pacific-slope Flycatcher.

For some years I have been surprised at how few ebird reports list either white-breasted or red-breasted nuthatches for the Fremont area.  I have or would have white-breasted calling daily but invisible near home if I sat outside more, and yesterday I saw a red-breasted at the corner of Canyon Heights Dr. and Maar Dr.  I wonder if the paucity of reports reflects obscuring traffic noise.

John Cant
Fremont