Re: Gold Gorget on a Hummingbird??

Lorrie Klosterman

I have also seen the flash of gold, when a perched male Anna's looked directly at me. It was a gorgeous fleeting moment at just the right sun-angle from an otherwise pink gorget :D

Lorrie K.
Berkeley

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020, 9:41 PM Hilary Powers <hilary@...> wrote:
On 3/25/2020 2:38 PM, Ralph McKinnon via Groups.Io wrote:
> Possible pollen accumulation on it's gorget?

Pollen can be gold... but not the sort of hyper-reflective metallic gold
this little guy displayed. It was what I've been reminded is properly
called "structural color" but I tend to think of as "sun color" - color
evoked by light rather than intrinsic to the substance on view.

I gather it's common for Anna's Hummingbirds to show gold instead of
red, but I'd never seen it before, or red of the shade of this one's
forehead and central gorget either. The world is still full of new
wonders....

--
~            Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA          ~
www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~