Re: Gold Gorget on a Hummingbird??

Max Laubstein

In this picture you can see a bit of that golden coloration along the side of the gorget, which is common in Anna's when lighting hits the microstructures in the gorget at an odd angle.
Happy Birding!

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 9:41 PM Hilary Powers <hilary@...> wrote:
On 3/25/2020 2:38 PM, Ralph McKinnon via Groups.Io wrote:
> Possible pollen accumulation on it's gorget?

Pollen can be gold... but not the sort of hyper-reflective metallic gold
this little guy displayed. It was what I've been reminded is properly
called "structural color" but I tend to think of as "sun color" - color
evoked by light rather than intrinsic to the substance on view.

I gather it's common for Anna's Hummingbirds to show gold instead of
red, but I'd never seen it before, or red of the shade of this one's
forehead and central gorget either. The world is still full of new
wonders....

--
~            Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA          ~
www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~