Re: Gold Gorget on a Hummingbird??

Hilary Powers

On 3/25/2020 2:38 PM, Ralph McKinnon via Groups.Io wrote:
Possible pollen accumulation on it's gorget?
Pollen can be gold... but not the sort of hyper-reflective metallic gold this little guy displayed. It was what I've been reminded is properly called "structural color" but I tend to think of as "sun color" - color evoked by light rather than intrinsic to the substance on view.

I gather it's common for Anna's Hummingbirds to show gold instead of red, but I'd never seen it before, or red of the shade of this one's forehead and central gorget either. The world is still full of new wonders....

--
~ Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA ~
~ www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~