Re: Gold Gorget on a Hummingbird??

Jim Hargrove

The color of the gorget can change depending on the angle of the sun. Also, the male can adjust the feathers of the gorget to change the color. The very first Anna's Hummingbird I saw was on a Christmas Count in Texas. It was a stake-out. We went to a house where they had a feeder and saw "a big hummingbird with red/gold color on the head and throat."

The Other Jim Hargrove
Email: neoscona@...

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 2:39 PM Ralph McKinnon via Groups.Io <mckinnon_ralph=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Possible pollen accumulation on it's gorget?

On Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 2:11 PM, Hilary Powers <hilary@...> wrote:

On 3/25/2020 2:00 PM, Hilary Powers wrote:

> The overall shape was right for Anna's. Anything else it could be?

Nope. The next thing I looked at after sending this message was the
March Audubon newsletter, with a picture of an Anna's Hummingbird
flashing gold from the sides of the gorget at the top of the first
screen.....

--
~            Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA          ~
~        Needle Felted Sculpture - Real and Fantasy Creatures        ~