Re: Weird sapsucker

Noah Arthur

Yes. That’s a beautiful example of Red-napedX-breasted Sapsucker. More obviously hybrid than many of the birds that get called hybrids, some of which are very close to pure Red-breasted. This could be an actual 1st-generation hybrid.

Noah

On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 7:02:17 PM PDT, Philip Georgakakos <pgeorgakakos3@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Below is a link to the an iNaturalist observation with pics of a strange sapsucker Teale Fristoe and I saw off Black Point Trail at Mitchel Canyon SP, yesterday. Any help with the ID would be appreciated. We also detected 18 Orange-crowned Warblers, they were foraging and singing vigorously. Other migrants a bit slow.

Also, follow up on Mountain View cemetery, on a run today I saw some Cliff Swallows and a Wilson’s Warbler. The migrants are coming!

Phil Georgakakos
Oakland