Re: Saturday morning in Heather Farm Park

Annie Vargas

The yellow-rumped warblers have all been hanging out at Borges Ranch, feeding on the new tree growth. They are absolutely everywhere and in beautiful coloration, along with a large population of brightly colored western bluebirds and orange crowned warblers sounding off. Good opportunity for photographers!

Take the Borges Ranch entrance off of Castle Rock Road (past Northgate HS). From the parking lot at Bob’s Pond, you can do a loop on the Hanna Lane Trail off to the right, or go straight up the Costanoan Trail to the top of the hill. The trees along the Sulfur Creek Trail have been full of these birds in the afternoons (I’ve been there after 1:30 pm), as well as the other usual residents (titmouse, juncos, Nuttall’s and acorn woodpeckers, ruby crowned kinglets, lesser goldfinches, house wrens, kestrels, black phoebes, etc).

Very few people there, and very green and peaceful during these stressful times. Happy birding to all.

Annie Vargas
Walnut Creek

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 9:33 AM rosita94598 via Groups.Io <rosita94598=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
It seemed cold enough today and our patio thermometer is showing 50° F.  Maybe the change in weather has also brought a change in the birds.

After dwindling numbers of Ring-necked Ducks over the last week, today we had about 30 of them on the large, mostly natural pond.  They were joined by two female Buffleheads and the female Common Goldeneye was out in the middle by herself.  Oddly, I did not notice any Coots or Pied-billed Grebes., though I did see one Common Gallinule.

A good number of Rough-winged Swallows were flying over the large pond.  One Violet-green or Tree Swallow was there, also.

The Yellow-rumped Warblers were mostly missing this last week, but today I had a group of 4--6 on the west side of the pond and another 4-6 at the gate to the private Seven Hills School.

Early this week the Canada Geese had four yellow goslings at the concrete pond.  Yesterday and today there was a family of 3.  Don't know if it is the same family or not; the River Otters are ever present, one was in the concrete pond yesterday.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek

Statement of Confidentiality: The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee. The information may also be confidential and/or legally privileged. This transmission is sent for the sole purpose of delivery to the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, any use, reproduction, or dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message and its attachments, if any.

E-mail is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC SS 2510-2521 and is legally privileged.