Saturday morning in Heather Farm Park

rosita94598

It seemed cold enough today and our patio thermometer is showing 50° F.  Maybe the change in weather has also brought a change in the birds.

After dwindling numbers of Ring-necked Ducks over the last week, today we had about 30 of them on the large, mostly natural pond.  They were joined by two female Buffleheads and the female Common Goldeneye was out in the middle by herself.  Oddly, I did not notice any Coots or Pied-billed Grebes., though I did see one Common Gallinule.

A good number of Rough-winged Swallows were flying over the large pond.  One Violet-green or Tree Swallow was there, also.

The Yellow-rumped Warblers were mostly missing this last week, but today I had a group of 4--6 on the west side of the pond and another 4-6 at the gate to the private Seven Hills School.

Early this week the Canada Geese had four yellow goslings at the concrete pond.  Yesterday and today there was a family of 3.  Don't know if it is the same family or not; the River Otters are ever present, one was in the concrete pond yesterday.

Hugh B. Harvey