Re: Second-hand Weirdness

Hilary Powers

On 3/16/2020 4:36 PM, Joe Morlan wrote:
How about a Coot?

Hmmm - about the right size, white edges visible on wings - first candidate to offer that! I'll show the guy a pic, but he did claim the legs (and I think the beak) were black.

Thanks for the thought!

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 14:41:35 -0700, "Hilary Powers"
<hilary@...> wrote:

What bird is black, sort of crow-sized, and shows white feathers along
the edges of its wings when it flies? Has black legs. Bigger than a
pigeon. No crest.

Yeah. I can't think of any either.

But a mostly bird-blind friend swore up and down that he saw three of
them near Berkeley Bowl (the old one, near Shattuck) yesterday. Said he
thought crows, or maybe ravens, till they flew; figured the first one to
take off was just elderly (yah, I know), but then all three showed the
same markings - "like a dagged edge" on the wing. White, or maybe light
gray....

Google Images didn't ring any bells for me this morning.

Speculation to while away a solitary Monday?
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

--
~            Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA          ~