Cesar Chavez (Berkeley) burrowing owl and barn owl, Sunday, 1/26

Kate Hoffman

I haven't seen a burrowing owl at Cesar Chavez Park in a while, but Blake Edgar and I walked there Sunday afternoon and saw one well outside the restricted area in the weedy meadow near an owl box (the one next to the path that goes up the hill). This was about 50 feet from the paved path--close enough we noticed it without the binocs. Luckily we did have binocs with us, and we watched it sitting in the grass for maybe 10 minutes. And in that same owl box, we saw a sleeping barn own--2 owl species within 30 yards of each other! Other cool birds: at least 4 Say's phoebes (usual there? not for me), 2 (maybe 3) white-tailed kites, 1 red-tailed hawk, 1 great egret and 1 snowy, 1 great blue heron, tons of buffleheads, 1 spotted sandpiper (in the riprap at the marina behind the hotel).

Kate Hoffman
Oakland, CA