Oakland CBC oriole

rfs_berkeley

I've been haunted by the oriole that showed up at Bay Farm Island on the Oakland CBC.

Looking around for photos, I find that same deep olive color on bird-of-the- year male Hooded Oriole. I did not see  a black throat, but that could be a shading issue.

I found myself stuck on 'female' without considering hatch year male.

 The bill did have a noticeable downturn at the tip, an Orchard trait; but seems Hooded can sometimes rival this. And I wonder if the bird was small enough. Orchard is a tiny bird.

So I don't know.  At this point I am thinking Hooded/Orchard unknown and I need to leave it at that.

  Rusty Scalf
  Berkeley, CA