Black-and-white Warbler in Berkeley

rosita94598

Rosita and I saw the bird on the east side of Alta Bates Hospital with others about noon or 12:30 today.  It was in some trees behind the hedge and in front of the hospital building, pretty much across from the Webster Street intersection with Regent.  Thanks to Alan Howe who showed me where it was after I had been hearing it for several minutes.
Rosita and I then drove to Emeryville to try and find the Bar-tailed Godwit, which we saw lat week.  We did not, but Rosita found a female-type Surf Scoter on the rocks with lots of Willets and Surfbirds.  Unfortunately, the Scoter had some fish line tangled around the head.  There was no way to capture this bird without scaring all the others off the rip-rap, and probably the duck out onto the water.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek