Re: Pileated Woodpecker, Redwood Regional Park

John Harris

Glen and all,
That is also my impression, that most sightings are in Contra Costa. When I
lived in the Bay area, I had a couple sightings farther south. On April 3,
1988, my wife and I saw one while we were hiking along the Graham Trail. It
was flying toward the West Ridge Trail, where it disappeared from view. In
those days, there was no East Bay birding list serve, let alone Ebird. I
believe I called a bird box, and also reported it to American Birds, the
predecessor of North American Birds. I believe that the species was
detected the following winter during the Oakland CBC. I also had one at the
intersection of the Graham and Dunn trails. It was hammering on a dead tree
there (which also had nesting Pygmy Nuthatch that year).
John Harris
Oakdale, formerly Oakland

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 4:21 PM Glen Tepke <g.tepke@...> wrote:

There was a male Pileated Woodpecker in the Alameda County portion of
Redwood RP near Oakland around noon today. It was seen from the Orchard
Trail, about half way between the junctions with the Bridal and French
trails, working in a large madrone on the north side of the trail (the
right side if you are going uphill). Note that this is a fairly steep
trail. It was remarkably confiding, seemingly unperturbed and
continuing to work on its excavation even when a very loud group of
hikers stopped to admire it. This sighting was also unusual for its
location near the southern end of the park; I believe most PIWO
sightings in Redwood have been further north and higher on the west
ridge, in the Contra Costa County part of the park. I will add some
photos to an eBird checklist later on tonight.

Later in my hike I heard another (or the same) Pileated Woodpecker
calling from the slope of the east ridge just north of the playground.

I briefly looked for the "Pink-sided" Dark-eyed Junco that has been
reported a couple times on eBird from Canyon Meadow (next to the main
parking lot at the end of the southern entrance road) but did not see it.

Good birding

Glen Tepke
Oakland/Santa Cruz