Re: Brewer's Sparrow this morning -- West County Landfill, loop trail

Graham Chisholm

Following up on Phred’s report, I hiked out along the loop trail that starts in the West County Landfill parking lot, and refound the Brewer’s Sparrow he reported. It was a bit west along the trail feeding along the edge of the trail at (37.9618183, -122.3904503), last seen at 3:10 pm. Nice find.

It is very birdy and I’d recommend being a scope to view the waterbirds.

Graham Chisholm
Berkeley

On Oct 12, 2019, at 1:09 PM, Phred Benham <phbenham@...> wrote:

Hi all,
This morning I had a Brewer’s Sparrow along the landfill loop trail. Just past a green info sign for “garbage mountain”, roughly here: 37.961710, -122.389530
The sparrow was working the fennel on both sides of the trail with a few white-crowned and song sparrows. The last I saw the bird it had gone into a larger patch of fennel.

Big numbers of shovelers were in the pond and my first of fall Green-winged Teal, Bufflehead, and Cinnamon Teal. There was also a late Red-necked Phalarope on the pond.

Photos of sparrow in the eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60558397

Good birding,
Phred Benham
Pt. Richmond, CA